NAPE works with schools and institutions across the country to build educators’ capacity to implement effective solutions for increasing student access, educational equity and workforce diversity. While we wish we could be present in the day-to-day efforts, supporting the needs of educators as they implement educational equity strategies to improve student success, this just isn’t possible.
To help us reach our vision, we’ve designed the Certified Educational Equity Coach Program to equip equity minded educator’s with the tools and strategies they need to coach their colleagues.
What is a Certified Educational Equity Coach?
A NAPE Certified Educational Equity Coach is an equity minded educator who leverages research-based strategies to influence the current practices of others, yielding more equitable learning environments that support the success of every student.
To equip educators with tools and skills to implement NAPE’s model for educational equity. Participants will be equipped to:
- conduct coaching sessions designed to improve educational equity and student outcomes,
- conduct classroom observations and provide effective feedback in one-on-one sessions, and
- facilitate Local Collaborative Team Meetings using NAPE’s Professional Learning Community for Educational Equity toolkit.
This program is a blend of in person and online learning, and progress be tracked using NAPE’s Learning Management System.
Why do I need this?
Our vision is that people are able to fulfill their potential through equal access to and equity in educational options that lead to the entire spectrum of career choices. We can’t do this alone. Our schools and communities need you to help create schools that allow every student, regardless of race, gender, class, ability, disability, and sexuality, to succeed.
Here are a few more reasons why to earn a certification:
- Plugs you into a community of likeminded professionals.
- Gives you tools to draw upon when needed.
- You will be a better mentor and coach.
- Establishes you as a continuous learner.
For a district wide implementation, completion of the following requirements will earn you the certification of Educational Equity Coach. (We will be rolling out an individual option in ~FY18.)
- Complete NAPE’s full Micromessaging to Reach and Teach Every Student™ Academy (or comparable NAPE program with approval)
- Attend NAPE’s Coaching for Educational Equity Program (3 days of professional development)
- Participate in four Professional Learning Community (PLC) sessions with a NAPE Certified Educational Equity Instructor
- Explain the NAPE Framework for Cultural Change (aka “culture wheel” demonstrating the cycle of inequity) to a NAPE Certified Educational Equity Instructor (can be in person, virtually, or via video).
- Complete four NAPE Online Courses on NAPE’s Learning Management System (LMS). – about 60 to 90 minutes each.
- Regularly participate in the group forum on NAPE’s LMS.
- Report on the use of NAPE’s Educational Equity Coaching Strategies in the following ways:
- Coach teachers one-on-one or in cohorts using NAPE’s Professional Learning Communities for Educational Equity Curriculum
- Conduct classroom observations using NAPE’s tools and provide feedback to the individual
- Have Certified Educational Equity Instructor (or peer when a CEEI is not available) observe a coaching session and provide feedback.
- Present an Action Research for Equity Project at a final day of professional development, sharing a summary of the project with findings, impacts, and next steps.
- Read at least 2 books from a list of recommended readings. *Not required for AISD
- Earn at least 80% on an ‘end of program’ assessment.
If you are part of a district wide implementation, and you would like to register for this certification program, please register here.
If you are interested in bringing this program to your district, please contact us.
If you are an individual interested in earning this certification, and would like to be notified when the individual program is available, please send us a message here.
Upon completion of the program, each person will receive a verified certificate and a digital badge that can be added to a LinkedIN professional profile and shared on social media.
Once you complete the program, the Certified Educational Equity Coach remains active for 3 years. After this time, the certification must be renewed. The renewal process may include additional PD, reporting on personal growth as a CEEC, and an online assessment.