Thursday, June 22, 2017 – The National Coalition for Women and Girls in Education (NCWGE) will hold a congressional briefing to release the newest edition of the report: Title IX at 45: Advancing Opportunity through Equity in Education. The briefing will be held from 1:30 – 2:30 pm in 385 Russell Senate Office Building.
The new report examines Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 in relation to the state of gender equity over the past 5-years. Title IX is a federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity.
Moderated by Pamela Yuen, with the American Association of University Women (AAUW), a distinguished expert panel will provide insight on six key areas of the report:
- Title IX and Athletics
- Pregnant and Parenting Students
- Women and STEM
- Single-Sex Education: Separation Serves No One
- Ending Sexual Harassment and Assault: Effective Measures Protect All Students
- Career and Technical Education: A Path to Economic Growth.
Briefing panelists include:
- Neena Chaudhry, Director of Education and Senior Counsel , National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) will address Ending Sexual Harassment and Assault: Effective Measures Protect All Students Pregnant and Parenting Students: Supporting Academic Success through Title IX
- Mimi Lufkin, CEO for the National Alliance for Partnerships in Equity (NAPE) Career and Technical Education: A Path to Economic Growth
- Roberta Rincon, Ph.D., Manager of Research, Society of Women Engineers will discuss Women and STEM: Preparing for a Technology-Driven Economy
- Esther Lofgren, Two-time Olympic Gold Medalist ,Women’s Sports Foundation Title IX and Athletics: Leveling the Playing Field Leads to Long-Term Success
The National Coalition for Women and Girls in Education (NCWGE) is a nonprofit organization established to educate the public about issues concerning equal rights for women and girls in education, monitor the enforcement and administration of current legislation, and conduct and publish research and analysis of issues concerning equity in education.